Tuesday, April 14, 2015

My TEDed lesson: 3 ways to speak English

I created a TEDed lesson called "3 ways to speak English". The presenter is a black girl. She uses three distinct ways to speak English when she talking to different kinds of people.



Objectives:
Students would be able to understand the main idea of the video
Students would be able to express their opinions with others

Assessment:
I give two multiple choice questions to assess whether the students understand the main idea of the video. After letting the students discuss their opinions of the video in class, I will let them watch another TED talk which is related to the issue. The TED talk is the second link in Dig Deeper. The students discuss the main idea of the talk in groups and then I will stop by to listen. Eventually, I will ask one student to talk about his/her ideas in front of the class and then everyone can jump in to give comments.

1 comment:

  1. Your lesson might work but I don't think your choice of video was the best. The topic of varieties of English is a good one, but this speaker's oral delivery made her quite difficult to understand. In addition, since there is only the very poor closed captioning, I think many L2 learners would have great difficulty understanding the talk. The talk you linked to in Learn More would have been a better initial choice although the topic is only tangentially related to varieties of English.

    ReplyDelete